New Jerusalem Baptist Church was founded in September 1975 by the late Bishop Frank McDaniel Williams and his wife Mother Florence P. Williams. The name was later changed to New Jerusalem Cathedral.
The first worship service of New Jerusalem was held in what was then the YWCA on Pearson Street in Greensboro, North Carolina. There was no media blitz to announce the founding of the new church movement, just a few public announcements and word of mouth; yet the building rented for the service was filled to capacity. A volunteer choir of 60 people sang at the service, and a volunteer group of ushers served as stewards. As a testimony to God’s will for this ministry, 167 answered the call to become New Jerusalem.
New Jerusalem has continued to show growth over the years – not only in membership, but also in various church programs that have become an integral part of its ministry.
New Jerusalem has, since its inception, followed the directive of “going into the world, preaching the gospel,” and compelling people to come to Christ. In the years since its founding, various methods of fulfilling this commandment have been established through city outreach groups, an outreach prayer line, community service programs, evangelistic Bible Study programs, a literature/tract ministry, weekly radio broadcasts, and regional crusades.
After worshipping in the YWCA for about one and one-half years, the church purchased an available church building on McConnell Road, and there seemed to be a special anointing that hovered there. The Lord further developed the New Jerusalem ministry while at the McConnell Road location. Many people were saved, healed, and delivered; many miracles were seen and testified to; the crusades ministry continued to expand and flourish; and the choir was blessed to receive national awards and honors, as well as recording contracts.
In addition to those events, one of the most precious and anointed events to take place at the McConnell Road church was the Bishopric Consecration of the Pastor, Dr. Frank Williams. This consecration ceremony took place on September 12, 1981, and was presided over and attended by several prominent, auspicious, and anointed Bishops in the community and surrounding area.
Because of city progress and expansion, the decision to raze the McConnell Road church was made. Although this left New Jerusalem Cathedral without a physical facility for a period of time, the Lord’s work did not stop. Even as city plans progressed, the Lord’s plan for New Jerusalem continued forward and services were held in the Greensboro Coliseum. Even though the services were held in one of Greensboro’s largest public facilities, the anointing of God was just as close as it had been at the YWCA and McConnell Road. People were still being healed, delivered, and saved through the power of God.
In November 1984, the New Jerusalem church body moved to 1606 Phillips Avenue. The Lord blessed in that the building offered plenteous space and was in an accessible location for spreading the Word of God throughout the community. In the 16 years since purchasing the building, New Jerusalem has continued to make improvements in the building’s infrastructure by providing new heating units, placing new roofing, and most proudly, adding a church steeple to the Sanctuary. Presently, this facility serves to provide additional meeting space for New Jerusalem’s service ministry efforts, and also houses the New Jerusalem Cathedral Child Development Center.
On Monday, January 26, 1998 the Lord called Bishop Frank Williams to rest from his labor. His son, Dr. Kevin A. Williams took the reins while still pastoring Monument of Praise Ministries in High Point (The ministry he birthed in 1992). Dr. Williams served as “interim pastor” for a full twelve months and on February 1, 1999 officially became the Pastor of New Jerusalem Cathedral. Under his leadership, New Jerusalem has purchased acreage and instituted more ministry programs all designed to reach people for Jesus Christ.
In September 2005, New Jerusalem Cathedral moved into its new sanctuary at 1822 Sharpe Road, and with the vision for New Jerusalem firmly in mind, plans are being developed for new building expansions and program implementation.
On September 14, 2008, The New Jerusalem Cathedral Churches welcomed our first International Ministry, Amazing Grace International in East London, South Africa. Amazing Grace is under the leadership of Pastor Julius Mpiti and his wife Thandi. Amazing Grace is a thriving church and since becoming a part of New Jerusalem, they have experienced exponential growth and are presently in a building expansion program.
The New Jerusalem Cathedral Church body is presently comprised of: New Jerusalem Cathedral, Greensboro NC, Monument of Praise, High Point, NC, Amazing Grace International, East London, South Africa, with missions in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, and Delhi, India.
Due to expansive outreach ministry efforts such as Community Outreach Reaching Everyone (C.O.R.E.) and many others, New Jerusalem has outgrown its present facility at 1822 Sharpe Road. Presently plans are underway to rebuild and reach more people for the Lord.
Although the history of any church is important, and the foundation of that church a necessary record, what is just as important is that church’s future. It is endearing to look backward, but it is a revelation to look forward. The Word of God states that, “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” It is certainly not God’s will that the vision of New Jerusalem perish, but that its people work together toward making the vision a reality. It is the belief of the New Jerusalem Cathedral church body that as God has willed, this will always be so.